Tuesday 6 October 2009

Week 2

This week I visited the Museum of Power in Langford, Essex to gather some ideas for the group project. From first glance it appeared that the main focus of the museum was the large collection of Steam engines and pumps. After closer inspection i found that there were a lot of other interesting artifacts on display ranging from tools too cameras and even car and plane engines.

Looking at the steam pumps I could see that the mechanisms that drive the actual machines were very complicated. Any animation of such machines would need to be timed perfectly, which would be very difficult.

From what I had seen I felt that most of the exhibits would present some challenge to our group when we come to modelling our chosen idea. I would like the challenge of re-creating one of the smaller steam pumps but it depends on what the group as a whole decide to animate.


As well as the museum visit I have also progressed with the model of my face. After completing the line structure on my face and drawing the quads last week I now have the basic shape modeled and ready for tweaking.

As you can see from this image i still have quite a lot of work to do. I want to try and smooth out the cheek area where some dips have appeared. The original mesh was created using spline modelling. The quads from the reference plate were traced using the line tool. Once the quads were created I then converted them all to editable poly's. In vector mode I pulled out each point of the shape to the desired position using the side reference plate as a guide. I have applied a mesh smooth modifier temporarily so I can see the areas that need improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment